Friday, June 02, 2006

Golf As A Sport

I know, I know, what are you talking about, golf already is a sport. Then why do they always refer to is as a the "game" of golf? Besides, I'm speaking for those of us who believe that if you don't go aerobic, it doesn't qualify as a sport.

Just so we're clear, I do play on occasion and I do enjoy the game. I also appreciate the physical skill involved, especially when played at the professional level. However, I always find my self wanting to jog to the ball (completly doable with one of those two wheeled carts) and in general just move the game along faster. Yesterday after playing with my father-in-law, I had the idea.

Timed golf!

That's right—fastest time wins!

You stagger the starts like in bicycle time trials (maybe while the player ahead is teeing off at the second hole the next player starts) and the players run to their ball pushing their bag on of those little two wheeled carts.Then at the end of the round you add or take away time depending on the player's score. One minute taken off the player's time for each number under par (5 under take 5 minutes off) and one minute added for each number over par. In order to swing at their best, the pros would have the added dimension of having to learn how to lower their heart rates in just a few seconds like the biatheletes do when they're coming into the shooting stations.

In addition to making golf more physical and intersesting to watch, it would also create a market for a whole new line of products: running golf shoes, lite weight bags and carts, high performance wheels on the carts, and I'm sure there's a lot more that I haven't thought of.

Golf courses could have specific times when Golf Running is available and easily run more people through than normal, therefore, making more money.

Everybody wins!

I can see it now. . . a Kenyon who's crossed over into golf, runs up to the last green, sinks a 15 footer for birdie and becomes the first person ever to win both the Boston Marathon and the US Open, while on the side lines, an aging Tiger Woods simply shakes his head and sighs.

I'll try and get back to more meaningful content on the next post.

1 comment:

wilsonte said...

Great idea! I can bring my souped-up Harley golf cart (if I had one), and beat everybody. Takes the exercise out of it, which for me is another plus. You know me.

BTW, nice prediction on Tiger. He did not make the cut at the U.S. Open, so looking on and sighing was exactly what he was doing!